"Forbidden" [The World of Nightwalkers Series, Book 1] by Jacquelyn Frank
My Book Summary : Ram/Vincent was told that his King and Queen would be coming back soon. Therefore, when he hears about Docia--the miracle "Bridge Girl" who survived falling off of a steel bridge and into the rocky Esopus River--Ram/Vincent knows the only way she could have survived was by becoming a Bodywalker--a person who dies then accepts a powerful spirit into their body so they can live life again in a new way--like him and his people, he sets out to bring her to a local compound so she will be safe and learn of their ways while believing that she is his Queen.
Over the time that they spend together, an attraction (that has never been between Ram/Vincent and his Queen before) builds into something that is undeniable and strictly ... forbidden. However, can Ram/Vincent make Docia understand the importance of who she is going to become before everything comes crashing down around them and without falling into temptation. Or will all his plans fall apart?
My Book Review : 5 out of 5 stars!! Follow Docia along through her death and new life while learning about the world of Nightwalkers, becoming a Bodywalker, and finding your soul mate in the most unlikely of places. This is a hilarious and thrilling start to The World of Nightwalkers Series!! In addition, this is also a bit of a spin-off from Ms. Frank's Nightwalkers Series (a series that I have yet to read) based on the prolog that I'm not sure how that part of the story really fits into the series but I'm hoping we will find out as this series progresses.
About the Characters:
• Docia: I enjoyed Docia so much! She is quirky, fun, rambles quite a bit, and is the perfect mix of being shy and daring all at once. Also, I think that with her new "Bodywalker" status she will grow to be more formidable than ever, however I do like Docia's attitude more so then the bits I saw of her reserved counterpart so I hope that later on as this series goes we will see her acting more like herself than anything else.
• Ram/Vincent: About 68 years old but doesn't look more than a few years older than 30. Is the second in command to all the Bodywalkers and is anxiously waiting for his King and Queen's return to Earth. He believes that Docia is his Queen, and plans to protect her as much as possible. Has an undeniable connection to Docia that is hard to pull away from.
• Cleo/Desirée: A prophetess who predicted that their King and Queen were coming soon. She tries to portray herself as a ditz but is very knowledgeable and she is very welcoming to Docia when they first meet.
• Jackson: Docia's older brother who is a cop and is very protective of her. He also raised Docia since she was nine years old when their parents died with the help of his friend, Leo, so they are very close.
• Leo: Use to be in the service. Is like a brother to Jackson & Docia, since after their parents died he let them live with him and helped raise Docia. Does what he likes to call himself "private security," he does the not-so-legal side of protecting.
I loved the unique relationships and the fun banter that all of the characters have with one another! Plus, the twists and turns throughout this novel keep you glued to your seat, or should I say your eyes glued to the book. =0) I cannot wait to read "Forever" the 2nd book in this series!!
I recommend this novel to anyone that is a fan of Ms. Frank and to those who like paranormal/fantasy thriller romances!!
Author's Novel Extras : I FINISHED!!!!!
Author's Book Trailer :
Book Teaser(s) :
She lifted her hand and indicated the breathtaking gown Cleo wore so perfectly. Of course, it was probably more the breathtaking body the gown was on that made it look so good. Docia tried to keep from touching her wounded head, but there was no hope for it. She felt like an ugly duckling in the shadow of the most magnificent swan ever.
Cleo smiled kindly at her. Docia would have read it was pity if not for the sparkle of mischief in her eyes.
"Come," she said, reaching to scoop up Docia's hands and pulling her to her feet. "You've had enough of the boring details of what it means to be host to a Bodywalker. It's far past time you get to learn about the fun stuff."
Fun stuff? That kiss had been pretty fun. Yep. Definitely fun. Until it had stopped and Ramses II, great pharaoh of ancient Egyptian history, had stopped it, pushed back from her, and looked at her as if she'd just told him she was a plague carrier.
Not fun. Definitely not fun. ~ within Chapter 7
"Ram, did you do this to me? I'm really starting to not like you, mister. Ever since you showed up, things have just been going to hell in a handbasket for me!"For more information on this book, series, and/or any other books by Jacquelyn, then please check out her website.
"Hmm," was the dry reply.
"Hmm? What hmm?" she demanded. "What's that supposed to mean, 'hmm'? It's true!"
"I don't recall being anywhere near New York when you got yourself shoved off a bridge," he said.
She opened her mouth to snap at him but shut it again almost instantly. He kind of had a point there.
"And I wasn't there when you entered the Ether."
Silence seemed the best course of action.
"And I had nothing to do with that nice gentleman trying to gut you with a knife."
"Vincent ..." She sighed. "You must be Vincent." Because Ram had never spoken with such sarcasm and irritability before, so it was the only conclusion she could come to. This was Ram's other half ... but somehow it was undiluted by the Blending. ~ within Chapter 9