Thursday, April 11, 2013

What was I thinking?: Not Quite Series, Book 1

Format: Kindle Edition | File Size: 456 KB | Release Date: November 2012 | Publisher: Montlake Romance | Obtained: Amazon.com | Originally Found Out About On The Author's Facebook Page

"Not Quite Dating" [Not Quite Series, Book 1] by Catherine Bybee

What was I thinking? : I liked the Author's Book Description and a few other of her books so I thought I'd give it a try.

Author's Book Description : Waitress and single mom Jessica “Jessie” Mann is practical to a fault. Even if she had time to date, which she doesn’t, she’d be determined to provide her son with a more secure upbringing than the one she had—and that would mean a husband with big bucks. When Jack Morrison—a sexy-as-sin, seemingly broke customer with a cowboy hat and a seductive grin—tries to flirt with her, she shoots him down. She doubts a carefree dreamer like Jack can provide the financial stability she needs. Yet with Christmas just weeks away, and Jessie not wanting to spend it alone, the charming Texan is proving hard to resist.

As the heir to the Morrison luxury hotel empire, Jack is used to being fawned over. But Jack needs someone who will fall in love with him—not his wealth. He’s set his sights on Jessie, though her hardened heart just might get in the way...
To be sure, he conceals his true identity and offers to help Jessie find the rich husband she seeks. But Jack’s daring charade may rob him of the holiday wish he wants most of all...

My Book Review : 1.5 out of 5 stars--a rich man finds the woman who might just be the perfect girl for him, if only he can prove to her that his lying to her about his wealth and who he really was had nothing to do with her personally then everything would be perfect...

I really tried to like this novel. And in some ways, I kind of did like it, mostly because of Jack and his sweet ways of trying to woo Jessie. Yet, even so, I didn't like Jessie all that much. I understand that she's used to guys using her and watching her mother deal with a string of men. Nevertheless, because of all of that she gets into a "non-ish" relationship with Jack. Mostly she sort of uses him for emotional support yet doesn't want anything more from him because she's afraid that he's a "dreamer" and is going to take off on her whenever the time comes. Even though there is no proof, he'll take off or that he plans too other than him not portraying the rich man facade that he actually is.

Basically, it was very annoying at times. So much so that by the time I got to the middle of Chapter 11, I was done with the novel.

I do hope that if you decide to read this novel you'll enjoy it more than I did. However, I do not recommend it.

- On a side note -
I liked what I read about Jack's best friends and I'm interested to see (if they're the heroes in this series) who they'll end up with.

My Previous Review(s) for this Author : Before the Moon Rises

My Previous Mention(s) of this Author's Books/Characters : Best Book Couples -- Happy Valentine's Day 2013

Author's Novel Extras : Not Quite Dating - Excerpt | Happy New Year! | Bybee and Montlake | Six Sentence Sunday ~Not Quite Dating | Six Sentence Sunday ~ Not Quite Dating | Short Excerpt ~ Not Quite Dating ~ | Squee! I have Cover Art! | Three More Weeks! Not Quite Dating | Amazon Top 10 Bestseller | Not Quite Dating Trailer | Release Day for Not Quite Dating | I'm giving away signed copies... | One Month Ago Today... | Goodbye 2012 | I'm On Sale! | Gold Digger or Just Smart?


Author's Series Extras : Writing Romance is Hard Work | Not Quite Mine has ART! | Video Blog Reading | ARC's? Who wants one?

Author's Book Trailer :

Book Teaser(s) :
“Third table down from the buffet table. Dark hair, a little thick around the middle.” Jack moved to the side so she could see whom he was talking about.
Thick? “At least he couldn’t be my dad, but please, Jack. He looks like a gangster.” Boy did he, short, calorically challenged, and with too much flashy jewelry.
“He probably is. He has what we call ‘family money.’ I don’t think he’s worked a day in his life.”
“A bum with deep pockets,” Jessie said.
“Right.”
“No bums, rich or not. A man has to make his own living. I don’t want someone who will drown if the stock market drops. The guy has to be able to dig himself back out.” Jessie glanced over the heads again.
“So let me get this straight. Rich, not too fat, self-made, young... did I leave anything out?”
“He’s gotta like kids.”
Jack blew out a long breath. “That’s a tall order, darlin’. You sure that kind of guy is out there?”
It was a lofty list. “I’m not sure of anything, Jack. This was your idea.” Her tone was short.
“OK, all right, don’t get all defensive. The night’s still young.”
She glanced at her watch. Actually, it was past eleven already. And no one new was walking in the door. ~ within Chapter 4
“I’m beat.”
“But I want to hear more about this date.”
“It wasn’t a date.”
“He drove you home.”
“That’s because my car wouldn’t start,” she said, explaining the situation.
“He kissed you at the door, and it’s almost three in the morning.”
“We talked in the back of the limo, watched the planes take off.”
“You were in a limo?”
Oh boy, not the information her sister needed to hear if Jessie was going to get any sleep before her son woke her up. “The hotel limo. Jack finagled it to give me a ride home. It wasn’t a date.”
“Sounds like a date to me.”
Jessie had spent the whole night in Jack’s presence, driven home with the guy, talked about their past, their futures. That kiss wouldn’t be forgotten any time soon. “Not quite a date.”
Monica pushed in between the covers of her bed with a catty smile. “If what I saw is ‘not quite dating,’ I want some.” She air quoted the dating statement and then turned off the light.
“Good night, Mo.”
“Night, sis. Have amazing, ‘not quite kissing’ dreams.”
Jessie tossed a pillow at her. “Brat.” ~ within Chapter 6
For more information on this book, series, and/or any other books by Catherine, then please check out her website.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking your time to comment!!

*The owner has the right to remove comments that she would consider spam*

This site is a participant in various affiliate advertising programs through Amazon.com, Rakuten Marketing, Commission Junction, IndieBound, Smashwords, Book Depository, and more that are designed to provide a means for Jess to earn minimal advertising fees by showcasing the areas you can purchase the corresponding products that Jess discusses within her blog posts. Basically Jess earns from qualifying purchases.
More specifically Jess partners those websites' programs and you should be aware that they may collect personal information when you interact with their sites. The collection and use of this information is subject to their own privacy policies.
You can check out Rakuten Marketing's privacy policy here: https://rakutenmarketing.com/legal-notices/services-privacy-policy/