Sunday, September 11, 2016

Feasted On: The New Guy (and Other Senior Year Distractions) by Amy Spalding

- This is an ARC book - Available Formats through Amazon: Hardcover - Pages: 320; Kindle Edition - File Size: 1331 KB; Audible – Unabridged | Expected Release Date: April 5, 2016 | Publisher: Hachette Book Group : Little, Brown Books for Young Readers : Poppy | Obtained: NetGalley

"The New Guy (and Other Senior Year Distractions)" by Amy Spalding

Author's Book Description : A ridiculously cute, formerly-famous new guy dropping into your life? It's practically every girl's dream.

But not Jules McCallister-Morgan's.


I realize that on paper I look like your standard type-A, neurotic, overachiever. And maybe I am. But I didn't get to be the editor of my school's long-revered newspaper by just showing up*. I have one main goal for my senior year-early acceptance into my first choice Ivy League college-and I will not be deterred by best friends, moms who think I could stand to "live a little," or boys.

At least, that was the plan before I knew about Alex Powell**.

And before Alex Powell betrayed me***.

I know what you're thinking: Calm down, Jules. But you don't understand. This stuff matters. This is my life. And I'm not going down without a fight.

----

* Okay, I sort of did. But it's a sore subject.

** I mean, I guess everyone knows about Alex Powell? Two years ago, you couldn't go anywhere without hearing about viral video boy band sensation Chaos 4 All. Two years ago, Alex Powell was famous.

*** Some people think I'm overreacting. But this. Means. War.

Filled with romance, rivalry, and passive-aggressive dog walking, Amy Spalding delivers a hilariously relatable high school story that's sure to have you falling for "The New Guy."

My Book Review : 4 out of 5 stars. Jules (Julia) has had her senior year all planned out for a long time. So, when Alex (a well-known ex-boy band member) starts at her school and begins to act interested in her, her organized world turns into organized chaos. But will Jules be able to roll with the punches or will Alex be the one curveball she won't be able to avoid?

Definitely not, what I expected as it had romance yet was based around a school rivalry between Jules and her academic enemy. While being back to school Jules received her dream of becoming editor of the high school paper, except she is very smart and harsh about herself, which makes her feel like nothing she does would be good enough for those that she loves. Being this way has made her strive for perfection in herself and the world around her, even though perfection isn't possible.

Though Jules neuroticness is annoying at times and the way her mind works is both jaw-dropping, while makes me cringe because I can be that obtuse at times too, I appreciated her as a character. Both Alex and Jules had a realness to them that was commendable and charming because you could see that they both were not putting on false pretenses when it came to one another. Even though they seem like an unusual match and, even though I've read this novel, to me they still do it was Jules' intensity and naiveté along with the way Alex seemed to appreciate her major quirks that had me rooting for them. They are both odd ducks in a way that just works.

I recommend it to those looking for a contemporary YA dramatic novel that has a bit of romance in the mix.

Purchase This Book Here :

Shop Your Indie/Local Bookstores (IndieBound - Paperback) USD : The New Guy (and Other Senior Year Distractions)
icon
Kobo (e-Book) USD : The New Guy (and Other Senior Year Distractions)
The New Guy (and Other Senior Year Distractions)
eBooks.com (e-Book) USD : The New Guy (and Other Senior Year Distractions)

Amazon (Kindle) USD : The New Guy (and Other Senior Year Distractions)

Amazon (Hardcover) USD : The New Guy (and Other Senior Year Distractions)

Amazon (Audible) USD : The New Guy (and Other Senior Year Distractions)
The New Guy (and Other Senior Year Distractions)
Barnes & Noble (NOOK Book) USD : The New Guy (and Other Senior Year Distractions)
The New Guy (and Other Senior Year Distractions)
Barnes & Noble (Hardcover) USD : The New Guy (and Other Senior Year Distractions)

Author's Novel Extras : The New Guy (and Other Senior Year Distractions) - Overview with F.A.Q. | A Few Updates!

I love this!!! #Repost @dhjlibrary Review of The New Guy by @thatames 📰 #instareview #dhjlibrary

A photo posted by Amy Spalding (@thatames) on


Book Teaser(s) :
"We love that you care about everything so much," Mom says. "But you have to give yourself a break, Jules."
"No one finds victory while giving herself a break."
"Do you hear yourself?" Darcy asks.
"Yes. I sound inspiring."
They burst into laughter, and while that isn't what I was going for, it's better than all this concern and disappointment. ~ within Chapter 16

Book Preview(s) :

For more information on this book and/or any other books by Amy, then please check out her Amazon Acct.

2 comments :

Thank you for taking your time to comment!!

*The owner has the right to remove comments that she would consider spam*

This site is a participant in various affiliate advertising programs through Amazon.com, Rakuten Marketing, Commission Junction, IndieBound, Smashwords, Book Depository, and more that are designed to provide a means for Jess to earn minimal advertising fees by showcasing the areas you can purchase the corresponding products that Jess discusses within her blog posts. Basically Jess earns from qualifying purchases.
More specifically Jess partners those websites' programs and you should be aware that they may collect personal information when you interact with their sites. The collection and use of this information is subject to their own privacy policies.
You can check out Rakuten Marketing's privacy policy here: https://rakutenmarketing.com/legal-notices/services-privacy-policy/