"Duality" [Guardians of the Light Series, Book 1] by Renee Wildes
My Book Summary : Dara begins a personal quest in hopes of saving her kingdom and finds out more about herself then she's ever known. During her quest, she saves Loren, an Elven prince who is in the middle of a similar quest of his own to help out some friends of his, and in turn, he swears a Life-Debt to Dara, which turns them into Life-Mates! However, just because they've found each other doesn't mean that they are able to walk away from their own personal journeys. Therefore, together they embark on a way to save Dara's kingdom from the demon who intends to take it over. Yet along the way unmistakable circumstances leave Loren's own personal life in unusual straights. So much so, that he's scared he'll lose Dara once their quests are over. Will Loren be able to find a way to win over Dara's heart and soul while defeating a demon in the process or will all his hopes and dreams come crashing down around him??
My Book Review : 4 out of 5 stars, follow two people on their quests of a lifetime that will change their paths of fate forever! I loved the characters in this series, especially Dara & Loren! Well all the characters, but Moira & Alani. And, now that I think about it, I hated Jalad and all of his followers too. Also, maybe... hmmm... =0/ Okay since there are so many characters let’s do it this way...
About the Characters:
• Dara: A mortal half-dragon fire mage, who was raised by her adoptive--human--parents Rufus and Fanny. She remembers very little about her mother, Sheena, who died when Dara was young. Loren's Life-Mate. As well as being a fire mage, Dara is a skilled healer and warrior. Protective of everyone she considers worthy. A mixture of shy and wanton when it comes to Loren. Is Loren's light when sudden changes take place.
• Loren: An Elven prince and was chosen by the Lady as Her champion. Younger brother to Deane and older brother to Brannan. Dara's Life-Mate and protector. Hani`ena's warrior. Best friend to Cianan. A powerful empath. Doesn't like the politics of being a prince and all that comes with royalty. Likes his freedom and helping protect his kingdom. Has a hard time when changes suddenly happen in his family.
• Jalad: Count of Westmarche, which borders Dara's kingdom. A mortal who wanted more power so he took a demon within himself and tore apart Dara's kingdom. **Hated him and his followers**
• Hani`ena: Loren's warhorse. Feisty. Keeps Loren in line.
• Cianan: An elf who's an archery instructor at the Academy. Best friend to Loren. A harmless flirt.
• Moira: Queen of Dara's kingdom. A mortal. Pregnant. Fights alongside the other warriors to save her kingdom. **I thought her fine at the beginning but at the very end I was very annoyed with her about her reaction to Dara**
• Hengist: King of Dara's kingdom. A mortal. Loren's friend.
• Cedric: The Elven High King. Father to Deane, Loren, and Brannan. Very sad because most of his family is dead and he misses them. Tries to keep himself together so he can be strong for his family and kingdom.
• Deane: An Elven prince and the heir to the throne. Older brother to Loren and Brannan. Rude and arrogant. **Hated him**
• Brannan: An Elven prince. Younger brother to Loren and Deane. The scholar of the family who is interested in learning about becoming a healer. Sweet and kind.
• Pari: The former Elven High King. Father to Cedric. Lorelei's Life-Mate. Used to being rained on when his wife is mad at him. Tough old warrior.
• Lorelei: The former Elven Queen. Mother to Cedric. Pari's Life-Mate. A powerful water mage. Mother hen type to everyone she likes.
• Sheena: A draconian. A dragon queen. Dara's mother.
• Paulette: An elf. Deane's wife. Very rude! **Hated her**
• Alani: Loren's betrothed. A snob who doesn't love Loren but plans on being his bride either way. **Hated her**
• Verdeen: An elf. Agrees to be Dara's lady's maid if Dara can teach her to become a skilled warrior. Very helpful.
There are more characters of course but these are the ones that come to mind the most. Anyway ...
This novel is an action packed adventure! With more adventure in it then I originally expected when I purchased it. Not that it was a problem; however, it definitely keeps you on your toes throughout this novel! Yet it also has a sweet love story drawn through it too!
I recommend this novel to anyone who was/is a Lord of the Rings fan and to those who like fantasy romances!!
- On a side note -
I'm now curious to read Cianan's novel "Hedda's Sword" (Book 2 in this series) & Verdeen's novel "Riever's Heart" (Book 5 in this series) as I liked them a lot as secondary characters in this novel. =0)
Author's Novel Extras : Duality Excerpt | A New Adventure | About DUALITY – w/Excerpt | 5-STAR REVIEW FOR DUALITY FROM ECATAROMANCE! | New Reviews For DUALITY! | Anonymous Reader Review for DUALITY! | New Review For DUALITY! | Booksigning With Kids | Duality Cover Featured for Valentine’s Day! | INSPIRATION
Author's Series Extras : Series' Background | Guardians of Light Character Blog | Back on the Air! LYCAN TIDES New Release Coming 7/14/09 | Writing Is A Lonely Profession...NOT! | AWESOME New Review For Hedda’s Sword! | HEDDA’S SWORD OUT IN PAPERBACK TODAY! | My 2 Weeks At Amazon – Thus Far | New Contract w/Samhain! | Hedda’s Sword – CataNetwork Reviewers Choice | Lycan Tides – LRC Best Fantasy Bk 2009 Nominee! | Moments in Time: Those Magical First Kisses | LYCAN TIDES – Runner Up in LRC’s Best Fantasy 2009! | AND THE WINNER IS....(VALENTINE’S DAY PROMO) | “FAVORITE” words of writers (not necessarily editors) | Countdown: How DUST Was Born | DUST OF DREAMS Up For Book of the Week at LASR! | Those Recurring Characters In A Series | Teaching Old Writers New Tricks – NaNo Update Revelations | CHARACTERIZATION & DEEP POV – TAKING IT TO THE NEXT LEVEL | What Verdeen & I Have in Common | LYCAN TIDES is an EPIC Finalist! | BOOK OPENINGS | The 5 Senses – SIGHT | The 5 Senses – TOUCH | ALPHAS vs. BETAS | Reality In Fiction | RIEVER’S HEART – OUT TODAY IN PAPERBACK! | Riever’s Heart Excerpt (Moonlit Gardens) | THE NEXT BIG THING
Author's Book Trailer :
Book Teaser(s) :
“I can’t go looking like this.”
“You do resemble a muddy puppy.”
“I stink, and you know it. Lady, I’d kill for a bath.” Her eyes turned fierce and begging all at the same time. “We’ve got water and a fire.”
“You cannot manage one right now, even pain-blocked.”
“You can help me.”
Something like a snicker came from Hani`ena’s direction. “You could.”
Oh, Lord and Lady. Just the mere thought of...was enough to turn his blood hot and cold. Her. Naked. Skin glistening in the firelight, droplets of water running down her back to the sweet curve of her... He broke into a sweat at his unchivalrous thoughts. She was injured and under his protection. “Nay.”
She turned from begging to indignation in the blink of an eye. “I granted you a bath, and you were in far less need of it than I. The least you can do is return the favor.” There was naught seductive in her tone. He felt her self-disgust.
“You have soap and clean rags in my saddle bags.”
“Shut up, Hani`ena.” He glared at the mare, who blinked at him. “You do not fool me for an instant.” He turned to Dara. “It would be...” Torture. “Inappropriate.”
“I can’t be the first woman you’ve seen naked. I trust you. Just pretend I’m your sister.”
“Your much younger sister,” Hani`ena commented.
His hand knotted in Dara’s hair. His face went rigid and turmoil smoldered in his heart. “You are not my sister.” It felt like a shout, but his throat was so tight it was barely audible. ~ within Chapter 7
They made it to shore and, after securing the boat, Pari led the way up a winding cliffside trail to a boulder-covered opening. “We are here.” He backed away for Dara to take the lead.For more information on this book, series, and/or any other books by Renee, then please check out her website.
“Beware,” the voices warned.
She stared at the sealed entrance. “It’s guarded by more than one element. You can’t enter.”
Pari unshouldered his pack. “This be where I come in. Music or passwords?”
“Musssic,” the voices ordered. “Music,” Dara repeated.
Pari pulled out his wooden flute and played a simple melody. Dara saw the notes shimmering against an invisible shield—yellow, blue, pink, green, violet. Every note flared against the shield, little by little thinning it into nonexistence.
Dara stepped up to the barricade and studied the runes above her head. She’d seen their like but once afore, on the bottle of dragon’s blood she’d held in prison. “What’s it say?”
“Enter here, all ye who fear not death. Bow to thy queen and live.”
Dara frowned. “You have some arrogance issues.”
They did not reply. ~ within Chapter 11