Friday, March 1, 2013

Disappointmentville: Drink of Me by Jacquelyn Frank

Format: Paperback | Pages: 371 | Release Date: October 2010 | Publisher: Zebra Books | Obtained: Friends of the Pasquotank-Camden Library - Fall Book Sale

"Drink of Me" by Jacquelyn Frank

Author's Book Description : In a world where emotion can be a deadly weapon, one slight, battered runaway holds the key to a dark and twisted enigma...

Drink of me, she whispers, her silver eyes trusting, pleading. What female dares speak such words to one of the Sánge? His people are scorned by every race for their fierce sensuality, their fearful rituals. And as Prime, Reule is the most telepathically gifted of them all.

But nothing has prepared him for the intensity of emotion radiating from the outlander rescued by his Pack. Terrified, tormented, but beautiful beyond measure, Mystique shatters his legendary control. As she reaches for him in the steamy heat of the healing baths, he knows this blind need can have but one end...

In blood, in knowledge, in ecstasy.

My Book Review : 2.5 out of 5 stars...

Okay. This is exactly what happened while I read this novel...

I was reeled into the beginning of this novel with its intriguing and mysterious buildup over Reule's people (the Sánge who are known as a savage group because they need to have blood while having sex and because of their fangs) and over Mystique (a woman who has run from her past while suffering from physical/emotional trauma and amnesia). Then the pretense of the novel hooked me when it came to the budding romance between Mystique and Reule, as well as the new developments that Mystique learned about herself. By then I was at page 178 (48% of the way in) reading while rocking my daughter to sleep where she ended up accidentally knocking the book out of my hands. When I got back to the novel, I didn't end up where I left off, not on purpose at first, a couple pages after where I ended just caught my eye and that is where I started again. To say it went downhill from there, me actually liking the novel, would be an understatement. I didn't like the way the plot was going.

Yet I wanted to give this novel the benefit of the doubt so I skimmed the rest of it so I could find out what happened to and between Reule, Mystique, her past, their future, and the funny secondary characters. What I found wasn't that I didn't enjoy what happened to the characters (well most of it), the reason for my rating was mostly because I didn't like what happened between Rye and Mystique at all (couldn't even find some goodness with the way that secondary plot wrapped up). In addition, I didn’t like the very end of this novel. Yes at the end it wraps up everything, but not quite the way I was hoping for. In addition, dealing with Mystique's insecurity about herself and her worth was annoying at times too. =0/

I don't recommend it; but if you do read it (since I found many positive reviews for this novel), I wish you luck and hope you like sci-fi-ish paranormal romances!

- On a side note -
So, basically what I'm saying (since this isn't my typical way to review a novel) is that the circumstances of how I read this novel could be why I rated it the way I did or if nothing unusual happened I might have felt the same way, I'm not really sure. =0/

My Previous Review(s) for this Author : Forbidden

My Previous Mention(s) of this Author's Books/Characters : "Waiting On" Wednesday: Forever | The Books I'm Thankful For (so far) in 2012 | Best Book Couples -- Happy Valentine's Day 2013

Author's Novel Extras : Mother's Day for Demons... | NOCTURNAL!! | DRINK OF ME

Book Teaser(s) :
"You're telling me you aren't at all worried that our Prime is forming an attachment to an outlander woman whom we know nothing about?"
"We know more than you think," Darcio hinted cryptically, "and no, I'm not worried. Reule isn't the sort to lose his head or his heart easily. And even if he did, Rye, I'm not entirely certain it would be any of our business."
"Everything is Pack business," Rye contradicted.
"Oh? Does that mean I can demand details about that pretty Janna you've been sniffing after all month?" Rye flushed a deep red at the mention of his rather serious flirtation with a young lady of the court. "After all, you are heir. If you're seeking to attach yourself to a woman who might one day be our Prima, perhaps we ought to be more involved in this."
"All right! Do you have to be such a cocky shit all the time?" Rye demanded. "You're right, as usual, and Delano, Saber, and I are assholes. Satisfied?"
"Immensely." Darcio chuckled. ~ within Chapter 5
For more information on this book and/or any other books by Jacquelyn, then please check out her website.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking your time to comment!!

*The owner has the right to remove comments that she would consider spam*

This site is a participant in various affiliate advertising programs through Amazon.com, Rakuten Marketing, Commission Junction, IndieBound, Smashwords, Book Depository, and more that are designed to provide a means for Jess to earn minimal advertising fees by showcasing the areas you can purchase the corresponding products that Jess discusses within her blog posts. Basically Jess earns from qualifying purchases.
More specifically Jess partners those websites' programs and you should be aware that they may collect personal information when you interact with their sites. The collection and use of this information is subject to their own privacy policies.
You can check out Rakuten Marketing's privacy policy here: https://rakutenmarketing.com/legal-notices/services-privacy-policy/